Monday 17 October 2011

Three leaf clover

The grass was slightly damp so I turned to my front to dry my back. And vice versa. I continued in this way for much of the afternoon and part of the evening. I watched the users of the nearby water fountain. I watched the ladies and gentlemen collecting bottles and earning more per hour than a waiter. I watched the pages of my book. On the occasions that I was sunning my front, I watched fourteen planes float overhead. I watched the two contrails merge into one like someone zipping a zip. I watched them until they disappeared out of view. Apart from one. When the fourteenth plane was gliding past I watched a head appear above me. The head had a mouth. I watched the mouth open and close. It was in possession of few teeth. The mouth belched out a few languages before matching one with the tepid welcome emitted from mine. This spurred the head on and it rooted itself beside me. It brought the mouth along for a Pilsner wafted ride. I wished the mouth's lips would merge into one like someone zipping a zip. "I've got something for you". The head had also brought dirty fingernails which now plucked at a clover below. I politely accepted my gift and the mouth took a satisfied swig from its empty bottle. The head almost bent backwards in order to locate the last drop. The head ended up amongst the clover and couldn't summon the energy to rise once more. I glanced back to see a hunched lady picking up the bottle.

1 comment:

  1. This one is my favourite. I am about to email you to tell you this.

    ReplyDelete